New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MuleUTV
UORC Benefactor

USA
259 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2007 :  11:23:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit MuleUTV's Homepage
Hello everyone! I noticed a few of you (it appears in Texas) have recently got your Mule street legal!?

Exactly HOW? I live in Arlington, TX, but on a long street where everyone has a minimum of 2-3 acres. I sure love "cruising the street" and have yet to encounter "The Law", but hey, if I can make this thing legal, I'll sure do it! Another issue is at our deer lease. We have to take a highway about 2-miles to reach one of our pieces of land (without driving right through our hunting areas). I have been pulled over driving down that highway (twice) and could sure use some tips on registration.

I searched the threads before posting this, and maybe I overlooked it, but can't find anything describing the process. This would be TOO COOL if you could please elaborate. Thanks in advance,

Gary Robertson
Owner, GR Manufacturing, LLC
2010 Kawasaki 610 Mule (utvproducts.com hardtop, stereo with TV, and windshield)
2010 Kawasaki 4010 / Black Trans Mule (utvproducts.com hard top, stereo, windshield)Thunderhawk Performance lift
2009 Kawasaki 4010 (SOLD)Trans Mule
2" Essex Lift
26" Surefoot Runflat Tires
ITP Wheels
Custom utvproducts.com 4010 Hardtop and NEW utvproducts.com stereo system (mounted in the top)
2009 Ranger Crew (green)(SOLD)
Custom utvproducts.com Hardtop and custom front cooler rack
2006 Kawasaki Trans Mule (SOLD)
Kolpin Gun Cases
utvproducts.com Hard Top/Interior Lighting
utvproducts.com Drink Holder
2008 Polaris Ranger Crew (SOLD)
utvproducts.com Custom Hard Top
Arlington, TX

Mule Man 1
UORC Benefactor

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2007 :  08:06:56 AM  Show Profile
I did previously post all the info, but probably kind of spotty. I will start a new thread tonight just for this if nobody can go back and find the form I posted and the instructions. Little help anybody? Tripod? Rip?

I used to have
'06 610 4x4, 2"lift,26" MudLites,ITP C series Type 7 Black, StickStoppers, 3000lb winch, Tiny Tach on dash, 5 panel rearview, Rubber mounted roof,Thunderhawk rear bumper, Invisible steering wheel cover, Stereo, Soft roll-up windshield,rear seats and roll cage

Edited by - Mule Man 1 on 04/25/2007 08:08:39 AM
Go to Top of Page

Tripod

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2007 :  10:00:35 AM  Show Profile  Send Tripod a Yahoo! Message
Go to the following for information on getting your Mule tagged:
Go to the Trail Rides forum, click on " Texas Beach Ride " then go to page 6, scroll down and you will see the needed form and other information. I made a couple of copies of the form and I filled in all the blanks before I got to the tag office. I told the DOT fellow that I was here to get slow moving tags for my utility vehicle and handed him the completed form,owner of vehicle certificate and insurance card. In about 10 minutes, he handed me the plates!
Later
Tripod

Galveston, Tx
09 Mule 610
Kawasaki Hard Top, Quad Boss 2" Receiver hitch, Thunderhawk 2" lift, Stick Stopper CV guards, JBL Speakers with Dell Juke Box.
Go to Top of Page

ripleyb
Dedicated Member

USA
842 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2007 :  11:08:46 AM  Show Profile
Here is a bulletin I came across to help the Texas counties to determine what type vehicles can be registered.

Registration and Title Bulletin #132-05

Date: December 19, 2005
To: All County Tax Assessor-Collectors
Category: General Information
Subject: Title and Registration of All-terrain Vehicles (ATVs) and Utility-type Vehicles

PURPOSE
To help clarify Registration and Title Bulletin # 116-05 by providing guidance on titling and registering of ATVs and Utility-type vehicles.

DETAILS
As manufacturers of these types of vehicles continue to produce new and more advanced models, it is becoming more difficult to determine their proper classifications.

The following criteria should provide you with assistance when determining the classification of an ATV or a Utility-type vehicle:

ATVs:

Manufacturer’s Certificate of Origin (MCO) indicates "ATV" as the body style.
Are not designed primarily for farming or lawn care; they are designed for recreation.
Are required to be titled.
Are not required to be registered unless operated on public land or owned by an "exempt" agency.
Have no speed limitations.
Are not golf carts.
Are manufactured for "off-highway" use only.
Utility-type Vehicles:

MCO indicates "Utility Vehicle" as the body style.
Are manufactured for utility, industrial, and agricultural use.
Are manufactured for "off-highway" use only.
Are not required to be titled.
Applicants wanting to perfect their security interest should file under the Uniform Commercial Code with the Texas Secretary of State, not by applying for title.
At the owner’s request, may be titled and registered as "slow-moving vehicles" with "GC" as the body style, if the maximum speed is 25 miles per hour or less (Form VTR-471). Will also require liability insurance and classification will be passenger or truck.
Are non-titleable if their speed exceeds 25 miles per hour.
CONTACT(S)
Please contact your local VTR Regional Office if you have any questions regarding the information in this bulletin. Thank you.

Here is the form you will use.

We did not need to have an inspection. We have no windshield, no turn signals. We installed the slow moving orange triangle, filled out the form, paid the fees and we were handed our plates. Easy as that. We were told that insurance is not required at this time, but that next year it would be. We got insurance just to be on the safe side. I hope this information helps you.

2009 Rhino 700 Sport
Go to Top of Page

HELLRZR
Starting Member

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2007 :  1:40:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit HELLRZR's Homepage  Send HELLRZR an AOL message
So basically it looks like a Rhino wouldn't be able to be registered b/c it is faster than 25 mph???

Chase - Houston, TX

2007 Camo Yamaha Rhino 660
- 14" Black ITP Type 7 Rims
- 27" ITP Mudlite XTR's
- BNA Motorsports Center Cupholder/Air Intake Cover
- Yamaha Front Bumper Cover

2008 Can-Am Renegade X
- Uni Filter
Go to Top of Page

ripleyb
Dedicated Member

USA
842 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2007 :  3:07:52 PM  Show Profile
You are probably right HELLRZR, but if the Manufacturers Certificate of Origin indicates "Utility Vehicle" as the body style, it may be worth a try to get the rhino registered. All they can say is no. The lady at the county office looked at us and said "Now it only goes 25 mph, right?" She was nodding yes the whole time and we didn't even have to answer the question. Depends on who waits on you. You will also have to fill out a new application of title when you register it. Good luck.

2009 Rhino 700 Sport
Go to Top of Page

MuleUTV
UORC Benefactor

USA
259 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2007 :  4:08:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit MuleUTV's Homepage
Thanks for all the detailed info, everyone!

A few more questions: I already have a title!? When I paid off my Mule, the lender sent me my title (just like a car title). Do I still need to apply for another?

On form VTR-471...it asks for Type of Vehicle. Do I list as a golf cart, or as a Kawasaki Utility Vehicle? And, I assume you guys checked "4-wheel-passenger" rather than truck?

Thanks guys!

Gary Robertson
2010 Kawasaki 610 Mule (utvproducts.com hardtop, stereo with TV, and windshield)
2010 Kawasaki 4010 / Black Trans Mule (utvproducts.com hard top, stereo, windshield)Thunderhawk Performance lift
2" Essex Lift
ITP Wheels
Custom utvproducts.com 4010 Hardtop and NEW utvproducts.com stereo system (mounted in the top)
Kolpin Gun Cases
Arlington, TX

Edited by - MuleUTV on 04/25/2007 4:41:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

Mule Man 1
UORC Benefactor

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2007 :  4:49:36 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the help guys. Yall are the best. Hey Gary, Im not sure on the title. Mine was a "Certificate Of Origin", from the dealer. It looked like a title but wasnt. I had to register it with the State of Texas to get a real Title. Good luck and let us know what happens.
Joe

I used to have
'06 610 4x4, 2"lift,26" MudLites,ITP C series Type 7 Black, StickStoppers, 3000lb winch, Tiny Tach on dash, 5 panel rearview, Rubber mounted roof,Thunderhawk rear bumper, Invisible steering wheel cover, Stereo, Soft roll-up windshield,rear seats and roll cage
Go to Top of Page

MuleUTV
UORC Benefactor

USA
259 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2007 :  5:30:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit MuleUTV's Homepage
Will do! I am planning to go to the TXDot office by the end of the week (same place I get tags for my vehicles).

I'll let everyone kinow what I find out. Thanks a TON for all the info you guys have given!

Gary Robertson
2" Essex Lift
ITP Wheels
Kolpin Gun Cases
Arlington, TX
Go to Top of Page

ckill
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2007 :  1:14:43 PM  Show Profile
Is the letter that Ripley posted saying that you can register ATV's and Utility vehicles?

I think the point is to differentiate between the two......but I have wishful thinking. I would love to be able to get my ATV street legal here in Texas.
Go to Top of Page

ripleyb
Dedicated Member

USA
842 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2007 :  2:08:28 PM  Show Profile
ckill, the letter I posted is for the county officials to help them differentiate between the atv and the utvs. If you have to straddle the seat, ie atv, you can not register the vehicle as street legal. Plus, the atv is typically faster than 25 mph, so it would not fall into the slow moving vehicle category. We are registerd in the same classification as the golf carts. Take care,

2009 Rhino 700 Sport
Go to Top of Page

ckill
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2007 :  2:27:23 PM  Show Profile
Thats what I figured thanks RB
Go to Top of Page

bgrigsby4

USA
263 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2007 :  11:05:06 PM  Show Profile
HELLRZR, I just got my Rhino "street legal" it was listed on the certificate of orgin as a utility vehicle and it was on my original paperwork from the dealership that it was for Farm Use so they didnt even ask any questions, just took about 15 minutes and they handed me my plates.

2006 Rhino 450
Canvas top
Pilot Driving Lights
Rear seats
#3000 Champion Winch
26" Dirt Devil XT II tires
Skull shifter knob
Custom Built speaker box w/200watt amp & Ipod hookup
Snorkeled belt intake and outlet
Battery Separator w/extra battery

Go to Top of Page

jrs0574

USA
290 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2007 :  2:25:27 PM  Show Profile
Hey bgrigsby4

If your are caught doing more then 25mph , ie, police officer radars you then you could possibly have a third degree felony charge filed against you for the affidavit you signed stating your vehicle max speed is 25mph or less per the form. I know we all want to get our vehicles street legal however it states on the kawasaki web site that the mules max speed is 25mph and if they want to get really picky they could file charges just with the signed document. Im glad you are able to ride on the street and i hope we all can some day but i just dont want bad things to happen to good people who had even better intensions.

Just my 2 cents and i hope this does not upset anyone because that was not my intensions.

Mammoth sound system
15" ss platnum wheels
26" Maxxis Ceros tires
4500lb venon winch
Roof & windshield
Custom paint to match my 09 Jeep Wrangler

John Sampson
Forney Texas.
Go to Top of Page

bgrigsby4

USA
263 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2007 :  10:22:48 PM  Show Profile
jrso574, I fully understand what you are talking about, but i only ride in my neighborhood and am very carefull not to drive over 25 mph. Actually the fastest i usually dive is around 15-20 everywhere i go on the roadway. Im just happy that I could get it street legal and i dont take any unnecessary chances.

2006 Rhino 450
Canvas top
Pilot Driving Lights
Rear seats
#3000 Champion Winch
26" Dirt Devil XT II tires
Skull shifter knob
Custom Built speaker box w/200watt amp & Ipod hookup
Snorkeled belt intake and outlet
Battery Separator w/extra battery

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
UtilityOffRoad.com Message Board © Copyright 2003-2009 http://UtilityOffRoad.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000